The announcement last night by the Prime Minister that there are more cases of COVID-19 outside isolation facilities is the last news any of us wanted to hear.
I’m sure that this can be contained and eliminated if we all follow the instructions and protocols that are recommended.
Firstly, I want to assure you that school is a safe environment and that we have as of today reinstated several procedures.
- Hand washing before and after any breaks.
- Regular cleaning of flat surfaces.
- Hand sanitiser is available in each classroom.
- Children and staff have been reminded about sneeze and coughing hygiene.
- We will not be holding any mass gatherings under Level 2. So this means we will be moving to Junior and Senior assemblies instead of whole school assemblies.
- Where practicable we will practice social distancing (1 metre apart).
- Friday lunch deal is cancelled until further notice.
We ask that under Level 2 that parents refrain from entering the school grounds unless necessary. If you have a young child that requires parental support in the morning then it is ok to bring them into the school grounds.
Any parent entering the school grounds needs to download the NZ COVID Tracker App and scan the QR Code when they enter and leave the school. Please note this is different from the app used before.
If you need to contact the office or staff please do so via telephone or email.
Stay at home if you’re sick
If you have cold or flu symptoms you should stay home, and call your doctor or Healthline on 0800 358 5453 for advice about getting tested.
These symptoms include:
- a cough
- a high temperature of at least 38°C
- shortness of breath
- sore throat
- sneezing and runny nose
- temporary loss of smell.
If you have any of these symptoms it doesn’t necessarily mean you have COVID-19. The symptoms are similar to other illnesses that are much more common, such as colds and flu.
At Alert Level 2, people who are a probable or confirmed case of COVID-19, or who are a close contact of a case, should self-isolate for 14 days, or until cleared by a doctor. Again if you are unsure then you should contact Healthline.
People arriving from overseas will continue to be placed in managed isolation for 14 days, or quarantine if they are showing symptoms.
Anyone with symptoms of COVID-19 should get tested — contact your doctor or Healthline on 0800 358 5453.